Tuesday, August 12, 2008

If you see any of these items used, call me!

We are past the halfway point of doing the Compact. Overall, it's gone pretty well. Most things, we've found, we can live without, buy used, or repair. I think we'd both agree that by far, the most difficult thing is finding clothes for ourselves (patty and dom). It's time-comsuming and often much more challenging than either of us is up for.

But, there are other things. Things that are just plain hard to deal with in a "compact-friendly" way. It's next to impossible to find some things used. I have a little list of household things that we need, and when I'm shopping at the thrift stores, I pull it out in the hopes of finding some of them. But in some cases, that's a tall order. And, these aren't the things one can assume a thrift store will have. It takes time, time, time, to go to a few places in search of this or that random item. And time is something we just don't have a lot of these days.

These are the things that leave us scratching our heads and frankly, wondering how to proceed. Violate the Compact? Live without for the rest of the year? Cobble together a temporary solution?

Examples:
  • sippy cup replacement valves
  • bathroom rugs
  • broom
  • a flagpole holder-upper for my porch
  • dog leash(when she is at the groomer, I have 2 kids in tow, and the groomer has lost her leash)
  • shower curtain liner
  • wooden cooking utensils that are not freaky-dirty/cracked/flaking apart
  • welcome mat in decent shape
  • random, assorted tupperware lids
  • tiny nail clippers, suitable for the delicate nails of the wigglingest baby ever

OK, so really now. If you see any of these items used, I want to hear from you! (Although you can take the dog leash off the list. I managed to talk the groomer in to sending me home with one as a "free gift")

Honestly, I'm scratching my head over these things.

No comments: